Vemma Live Well Star: Ryka Milo
Ryka Milo is a wife, mother, sister, and daughter who works full-time and is an active enthusiast of the Live Well program as well as a Vemma Affiliate. She agreed to chat with us and tell us exactly how she balances everything while still finding time to take care of herself and pursue her health and fitness goals.
- What motivated you to embark on Vemma’s Live Well Program? I love the layout and how easy the program is; it's very important to eat well and stay active to create more longevity in life itself.
- What aspects of the program have you found to be the most useful? I love the recipes and tools, and the weekly tracker is great to write stuff down while the products go hand in hand with the program. It’s so important to keep track of the foods you eat. People will say to me they're not getting results, and I ask them if they are writing down what they eat!
- What is your favorite song to listen to while you work out and why? I love old school hip-hop music, I like to feel in my blood and soul. I also love “This is Me” from The Greatest Showman soundtrack, it’s about being yourself, being brave, and not caring about what others think.
- What does a typical day look like for you? I wake up about 6:30 am, get ready for work, and then head in for a 9 hour shift at the bank where I work Afterwards, at about 6 PM or so, I workout either at the spin studio next door or meet with my trainer and a couple other moms and do strength training for an hour. We journal, talk about our week, and share inspirations and struggles we've had. It's so important to get into a support group to keep you motivated! I then head home around 8:30 PM, eat dinner, prep food for next day, take shower, and go to bed. On weekends, I love cooking. I spend lots of my time with my family and friends, and we entertain or just hang out.
- Everyone is so busy these days—how do you find the time and motivation to stick with the program and ignore the siren call of snacking? I prep food and I have it handy, always. It’s so easy to snack, so that's really important.
- Have you tried the recipes listed in the program? Which one is your favorite so far? I love the chicken avocado protein bowl, I make that one a lot. However, I've modified it a bit: I use quinoa as base and mixed it with all those ingredients before adding purple onions, tomatoes, lime, roasted corn, skirt steak I barbecued, and cilantro before topping it off with a squeeze of lime.
- Which Vemma product is your favorite and why? My favorite product is Vemma. I love it and take it every day.
- Who is the most inspirational person to you? The most inspirational person I would have to say is my master trainer, Tori Brillantes. She has made a big impact on my life and I don't know where I'd be if she wasn't in it.
- What is your favorite way to relax and renew yourself? I love to check out, which means putting my phone down and being in the moment when I cook or spend time with people or whatever is going on in that time.
- What are your health and fitness goals for 2018? Since April, I've lost 30 lbs and over 25 inches, so I would love to focus on getting leaner and stronger.
We’d like to thank Ryka for agreeing to share her secrets with us. We find her dedication and drive so inspiring as we push forward in our own health and fitness goals. To embark on your journey to a new you in the new year, click here to join the Vemma Live Well Program!