Black Friday Inspired Workout
It’s that time of year again: the temperature is falling, the holidays are approaching, and shopping is about to turn into a full contact sport. We’re talking, of course, about Black Friday. In the spirit of that day, here are a few exercises you can incorporate into your daily workout to help keep you on theme. What’s the best part? You can do these at home away from insane crowds trying to knife fight over the last Beanie Baby (those are still cool, right?)
● Grab the Last Toy Off the Bottom Shelf: To do this exercise, begin by standing with your feet about shoulder width apart, feet turned out about 30 degrees. Next, while keeping your core engaged and your back flat, bend your legs until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Reach your arms out in front of you and imagine you’re snatching the last Tickle Me Elmo off the bottom shelf. Hold for two seconds, then slowly return to a standing position. Repeat 10-15 times.
● Lunge for the Last TV: You’re closing in on one of those 800” TVs that was advertised as only being $5--you’ve made it! But uh oh--someone else is running for that same TV! Begin with your feet shoulder width apart. Step forward with your right food and, keeping, your back straight and your core engaged, lower your hips until your right knee creates a 90 degree angle (but be sure to keep your left knee off the floor). From here, you can put your hand out on the TV to create a “dibs” situation in your favor. Hold for a few seconds and then slowly rise back up and step your right foot back to meet your left. Repeat on the other side to complete the set. Repeat 10-15 times.
● Burn Break: This isn’t an exercise, but you need to keep your energy up if you’re ever going to fight your way to the checkout line. Pull out an 8 oz can of Burn and enjoy your well-deserved break. Plus, Burn’s 7 grams of soluble fiber will help you feel fuller and satisfied longer, thereby eliminating the need to stop for snacks.*
● Fight Your Way Off the Floor: Tragedy strikes! You’ve lost your balance and have landed on the floor and the crowd is closing in! To keep from being stepped on, it’s time to do some bicycle crunches. Begin by lying on your back. Put your hands behind your head and lift your shoulders up off the floor (but don’t pull your neck) while bringing your knees to your chest. Straighten your right leg out in front of you, keeping your foot off the ground, and bring your right elbow to your left knee (make sure your rib cage is moving, not just your elbow). Switch legs and touch your left elbow to your right knee. Continue alternating for 15-20 reps.
● Make Your Escape: You’ve gotten off the floor and made it through the checkout line. You’re almost done! But the floor around you is covered with the fallout of Black Friday, from ripped packaging to crying employees and broken dreams. To get over the carnage, begin by standing up straight, feet hip-width apart. Hold your palms in front of you, just above your belly button. Quickly bring your right knee up to meet your right now before immediately bringing it back to the ground. As soon as your right foot is secure, repeat the action on the left side with your left knee coming up to meet your left hand. As you alternate knees, do it with a small hopping motion while staying on the balls of your feet. If that’s too hard on your knees, eliminate the hop and just alternate your knees.
You made it! You’ve successfully survived Black Friday! Of course, we recommend only doing these exercises at home or the gym and not in the middle of an angry mob at 4 AM.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
**Vemma Nutrition Company recommends following a healthy approach to weight loss by consulting with your physician or health care professional prior to starting any new exercise or diet plan.