Trainer Tips: Brandon “Speedy” Anthony on Boosting Metabolism
On this blog, we’ve discussed the benefits of eating every three hours to boost metabolism, but we wanted to dive deeper. We chatted with a personal trainer Brandon Anthony, nicknamed Speedy, to get the inside scoop on maximizing our metabolism.
● Where does the nickname “Speedy” come from? I was given that nickname by my first pop warner football coach because I was blessed with speed. I grew up playing three sports every year, and that led me to as college football scholarship. Now, I am a personal trainer as well as a strength and conditioning coach.
● How long have you been a trainer? I have been a personal trainer since 2008. I love motivating people to be their best.
● What initially sparked your interest in fitness? Playing sports. I always wanted to be a better athlete, so I worked out and conditioned my body to get stronger/faster/better for whichever sport I was playing.
● Let’s talk about boosting metabolism—why should you eat every three hours? Eating every three hours boosts your metabolism. We burn more calories then normal when our body is digesting food, so it is good to eat and digest all day to optimize calorie burn and speed up your metabolism. This process helps us not to indulge on food or over eat because we won’t feel hungry, making it is easier to stay on track with our meal plan.
● What sort of food do you recommend people eat? Do you have any favorite snacks? Chicken, fish, beef, ground turkey, brown rice and veggies are some of the best. Veggies have fiber and minerals that fuel our body, help breakdown food, and makes us feel full. My go to snack is a banana.
● I imagine eating every few hours requires a bunch of meal prep--do you do yours at a specific time (before bed/first thing in the morning/once a week on Sunday/etc.)? Meal preparation is a must when eating every three hours, and I like to meal prep on Sundays.
● What does your personal food routine look like on a typical day? I’ll cook up enough food for three days, like barbecued chicken, brown rice, and veggies. I like to use small Tupperwares® and package up individual meals so they’re ready to go and I’ll choose my snacks the night before. For example, oatmeal and hard boiled eggs make for a good snack. I typically eat cereal for breakfast and have a Burn on my way to work. For lunch, I’ve found that I like to eat only about 3/4 of the meal I brought from home; I’ll eat the rest for a snack before having dinner at home with my wife.
● Any advice for people just starting to transition their eating habits towards eating every three hours? Meal prep and planning are skills like anything else. Even if the process seems daunting at first, trust me—it gets easier. Now I feel like I'd never go back because scheduling your meals makes sticking to your meal plan a breeze. Remember, it only takes 21 days to make a new habit! Also, drink a gallon of water a day, but try and finish it before 7 PM so you’re not going to the bathroom all night.
● In eating every three hours, what have you noticed about your energy level, weight loss, and other health benefits? Eating every three hours helps to maintain my weight, keeps me on track with my goals, and gives me a lot of energy. I feel like I am in control of when I eat rather then allowing my hunger control me.
● What is your advice to stay motivated in a fitness program? I like to set short and long term goals in order to stay motivated, including daily goals. I also track my progress in a journal, I have a workout template that I use to track my exercise, and I write down my workouts. I recommend that you hire a trainer face to face or online (like me!) and/or find a workout partner to keep you accountable. Additionally, taking before and after pictures is invaluable because you can see how far you’ve come. It’s very motivating!
● Do you have any favorite motivation quotes or books you’d recommend? My favorite quote is “Just do it!” I have found that people enjoyed the book Awakening To Your Fitness Journey- Stop the Quick-Fix Mentality and Create the Best Version of YOU – Body, Mind, and Spirit by Anthony Steel and Forrest Folen. However, the most important thing to remember is that your goals will keep you motivated, so set some today—you’ve got this! All you have to do is start.
We’d like to thank Speedy for agreeing to share his secrets with us. We find his dedication and drive so inspiring as we push forward in our own health and fitness goals. To embark on your journey to a new you, click here to join the Vemma Live Well Program!
Vemma Nutrition Company recommends following a healthy approach to weight loss by consulting with your physician or healthcare provider prior starting any new exercise or diet plan.
Brandon Anthony is a Vemma Affiliate and may be eligible to earn commissions for purchases made from Vemma Nutrition Company.