Getting Back on the Fitness Wagon
Real talk: no matter how dedicated we are to a program, everyone can make mistakes or fall out of their health and fitness routines. Maybe you went on vacation and did nothing but eat cake for two weeks. Maybe you’ve had a busy time at work and everything else fell by the wayside while you worked on a big project. Maybe everyday life just got in the way. Whatever the reason, the important thing is to get back up and get back on track, that whole “fall seven times, get back up eight” thing. Here are some tips for getting back on the fitness wagon.
● Don’t Be Too Hard on Yourself. You’re human. It’s fine. If you want, that can be our little secret. The important thing is that you want to get back to your goals and you’re not giving up.
● Surround Yourself with Support. This can take many different forms depending on what works best for you. Talk to a partner or friend or family member who will encourage you as you get back on track. Check out an online forum with likeminded people. Go to a gym and connect with a trainer who will help support you as you get back into your routine. Support is not a one size fits all formula, so find what works for you and will help keep you motivated.
● Go Slow. Just like with any exercise program, if you take on too much too fast, you run the risk of burning yourself out and falling right back off that fitness wagon. Maybe instead of jumping directly back into the daily spin class you used to take, set a small goal of going for a walk around your neighborhood once or twice a day. Use this time to listen to music, your favorite podcast, or just enjoy being outside. If you slowly build up to it, you can get back to your preferred routine in no time.
● One Meal Makeover. If you’ve fallen off track with your eating plan, try to get back into healthy eating by redoing one meal per week. That way, instead of feeling like you’re on a diet, you’re just re-establishing positive eating habits by incorporating them on a consistent basis.
● Ask a Professional. If you need more structured help, don’t hesitate to seek out a licensed nutritionist and/or trainer. They’ve seen it all and can help you create a plan that works for you so you can get back to the kind of healthy living you love.
Do you have more tips for getting back on the fitness wagon that we didn’t cover here? Let us know in the comments!
Disclaimer: Vemma Nutrition Company recommends following a healthy approach to weight loss by consulting with your physician or healthcare provider prior starting any new exercise or diet plan.